Monday 7 March 2011

The Monday Post

My Tau are really gathering steam at the moment. I've put the marines aside for now so I can focus on winning games with my Tau and properly getting to know the army. One of the main things that started me on Tau was the Hammerhead gunship and it's still something that makes me really glad I chose the pioneering space communists. The thrill of destroying a battle tank with the railgun in one turn and obliterating a unit of infantry with it in the next is still a fundamental part of 40k for me.
One thing that always crops up when I'm discussing lists with people is the fact that I use two Hammerheads instead of units of Broadsides. I've found that although Broadsides win on sheer tank killing power, the versatility of the Hammerhead railgun is far more useful. I have won countless games with a well placed submunition blast taking an objective holding Troops choice out of the game. The mobility of the tank is another huge bonus. Equipping it with a multitracker allows you to "fly" it 12" and blast away with the main gun. This is perfect for getting side shots on Leman Russes and other such well armoured targets. I usually deploy my Hammerheads on the flanks. From here they get the above mentioned side shots, but also provide valuable mobile cover for my Deathrains. The Hammerhead is also less vulnerable to small arms fire with it's high front armour and good side armour. The one key thing to remember is that your main weapon is a turret weapon. It can swivel to point at your target. Always position the tank so it's front armour is facing the greatest threat. This can mean the difference between killing that nasty enemy vehicle, and having your prized tank a smoking wreck.
Ko'vash

2 comments:

  1. Hammerheads are awesome, but spread the word. Never buy Hammerhead kits. For the same money you get a cool turret and a bunch of seeker missiles in the Skyray kit and you still get all of the parts to make a hammerhead.

    Spread the word.

    Do you find yourself using the large blast very often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to let people know about the sky-ray box. I tend not to play a huge amount of mech at my club so I would say I use the large blast quite often. I find my Deathrains destroy most light tanks my opponents bring and I can then focus on infantry with my Hammerheads.
    Ko'vash

    ReplyDelete